Connect with us

Ghana Buzz

NMC begins probe into assault on Caleb Kudah; Citi FM raid

Published

on

NMC begins probe into assault on Caleb Kudah; Citi FM raid


The National Media Commission (NMC), has begun its probe into the assault on Citi FM journalist Caleb Kudah, the harassment of another journalist, Zoe Abu-Baidoo, and the subsequent invasion of the media organization by National Security operatives.

The Executive Secretary of the Commission, George Sarpong, made this known in an interview with journalists in Accra on Thursday, May 20, 2021.

He said the Commission has received a petition from the Accra-based radio and TV station, which has been forwarded to the National Security Ministry for their reaction in honour of the principle of natural justice.

“We have submitted the petition to the National Security Ministry for their comment, and we have indicated the timeline, and we expect that they will provide us with their response before 24th of this month. After that, we will meet with the parties on the 26th of May for the hearing. Our hope is that in that meeting, we should be able to conclude with the issues involved,” he noted.

This comes at the back of an ongoing internal investigation by the National Security Ministry itself.

In a statement released on May 13, 2021, and signed by its Chief Director, Lt. Col. Ababio Serebour (Rtd), the intelligence-gathering organization took note of the allegations of brutalities against the journalist and commenced investigations into them.

Responding to a question about whether the ongoing investigations at the National Security Ministry could affect the Commission’s investigations, Mr. Sarpong said the NMC’s investigation is independent of that of the National Security Ministry, and that the Commission is bent on assessing the issue separately and provide a way forward.

He further assured journalists of the Commission’s support through the newly created office of the Coordinated Mechanism for the Safety of Journalists to investigate, validate and take the necessary steps on assaults of journalists.

He called for support for the office, emphasizing that the office will do all it can to guarantee the safety of journalists in the country.

“We want every journalist in this country to see this as a game-changer once the constitution guarantees them the rights to do their work, and offers them constitutional protection. This is the first time that we have been able to set up a mechanism that achieves that purpose of protecting the safety of journalists”.

“So I want all of us to see the novelty of it, and to rally behind the idea because ultimately, our collective safety as journalists will depend on how well we all work together to make the mechanism work,” he added.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Ghana Buzz

Police awaits AG’s advice on slain Mfantsiman MP’s case

Published

on

By

Police awaits AG's advice on slain Mfantsiman MP's case


Police is waiting for the Attorney General’s advice on the slain Mfantsiman Member of Parliament (MP) Ekow Quansah Hayford, Assistant Superintendent of Police (ASP) Fuseini Yakubu, told an Accra Circuit Court when sitting resumed on Wednesday.

Eight persons have so far been arrested for their alleged involvement in the murder and robbery of the deceased legislator.

They are Alhassan Abubakar, aka, Abu Fulani, Naziru Fudailu Nash, aka, SP, Alhassan Mahama Yahaya, aka, Mystical Cloud, Amadu Yakubu, Haruna Osmanu, Adam Alhassan, Fuseini Alhassan, aka, Black Smith and one Mohammed.

The others are said to be at large.

The accused persons are facing various charges of conspiracy to commit crime and robbery and remanded into custody by the Court, presided over by Mrs Evelyn Asamoah.

On October 8, last year, the MP was killed after he had filed his nomination for re-election and returning from a campaign tour within his constituency.

He was allegedly attacked and shot by the robbers.

The matter has been adjourned to June 15.

—GNA

Continue Reading

Ghana Buzz

Mahama withdraws acceptance as AU envoy to Somalia

Published

on

By

Mahama withdraws acceptance as AU envoy to Somalia


Ex-President John Dramani Mahama has withdrawn his acceptance as the African Union (AU) envoy to Somalia.

He has therefore written a letter to the Chairperson of the AU Commission to that effect.

While thanking the AU for the confidence reposed in him, Mr. Mahama noted that “the high political importance of the proposed assignment requires that the High Representative enjoys the unalloyed support and co-operation of all political stakeholders.”

Mr. Mahama’s appointment as the AU envoy has been roundly welcomed by the Council of Presidential Candidates of Somalia, and the Coalition of Somalia’s Federal Member States’

He further cautioned in his letter to the AU Chairperson, Moussa Faki Mahamat, that the lack of support by the Federal Government could jeopardize the whole process and undermine the hopes that the entire world has in bringing peace to the esteemed land of Somalia.

The former President continues to receive requests from various international bodies and groups, and is widely respected for his commitment to democratic consolidation, peace-building, and development.

Mr. Mahama used the opportunity to reaffirm his commitment to the African Union’s vision of an integrated, prosperous, and peaceful Africa, that includes Somalia.

AU had appointed John Mahama, as the High Representative to Somalia following the East African country’s renewed political crisis recently after the incumbent President, Mohamed Abdullahi Mohamed decided to extend his tenure by two more years.

He was to work with the Somali stakeholders, to reach a mutually acceptable compromise towards an all-encompassing resolution for the holding of Somali elections in the shortest time possible.

The newly formed Somali National Salvation Forum (NSF) had declared its support for John Mahama.

But Somalia’s Foreign and International Cooperation Minister, Mohamed Abdirazak in a letter to the AU said the Ghanaian ex-leader is closely associated with the leadership in Kenya hence it rejects his appointment.

Continue Reading

Ghana Buzz

Suspected robber lynched; acommplice drowns at Sakaman

Published

on

By

Suspected robber lynched; acommplice drowns at Sakaman


Suspected robber lynched; acommplice drowns at Sakaman