Connect with us

Buzz and Metro

Nigeria to produce SIM cards, smartphones for Africa ― Pantami

Published

on

Pantami: FG to establish emergency communication centres nationwide next year


Dr Isa Pantami, Minister of Communications and Digital Economy, says Nigeria has the capacity to produce SIM cards and Smart phones for the African continent.

The minister said this at an event organised by the All Progressives Congress (APC) Professional Forum on Thursday, in Abuja, at the party’s national secretariat.

The event was organised by the forum for government appointees to give account of their stewardship in office to Nigerians.

Pantami, while speaking at the event, assured that henceforth, importation of SIM cards and other 60-70 per cent of items needed in the telecommunication sector would be produced locally.

According to him, Nigeria has the capacity to produce a minimum of 200 million SIM cards annually.

“We came up with a policy that in the next two to three years, a minimum of 60 to 70 per cent of what we need in the telecommunications sector is going to be produced locally and we have started it.

“When this administration came on board, even SIM cards were imported into Nigeria.

“But, as it is today, the Federal Government has provided an enabling environment for the private sector to produce SIM cards, not only for our consumption, but for the entire African continent.

“We have the capacity to produce a minimum of 200 million SIM cards annually and have provided an enabling environment for the private sector to start the production of smart phones.

“Today in Nigeria, we are producing smart phones,” the minister said.

Giving account of his stewardship, Pantami said strategies were being deployed by the sector, under his supervision, to support the three point agenda of the President Muhammadu Buhari-led government that include: security, anti corruption and economic development.

He added that the ministry was implementing over a dozen policies, to enable the digitalisation of Nigeria in line with global best practice.

Pantami said that as at March, 2021, the sector had successfully saved over N22.4 billion for the Federal government by executing its mandate in support of the anti-corruption drive of the Buhari administration.

He said this was achieved through the implementation of the Information Technology (IT) Projects clearance policy.

“Under this policy, over 727 institutions have complied with over 323 projects cleared in accordance with laid down guidelines,” the minister said.

Pantami cited the policy on virtual engagements for public institutions as providing the impetus to fighting corruption and reducing the cost of governance and promoting e-governance.

In the area of economic development, Pantami said that enabling policies enacted in the sector to support the digitalisation of the economy had empowered it to provide and enhance digital capacities among citizens.

He noted that the National Policy on Entrepreneurship and Start-ups and the Digital Literacy and skills pillar of the National Digital Economy Policy and Strategy for a Digital Nigeria had given impetus to the acquisition of digital skills and job creation in the sector.

The minister added that under the Digital Nigeria portal, over 210,000 citizens, including women, youths and the physically challenged, had been equipped with various digital skills for economic empowerment.

He noted that the sector had established over 300 ICT Centres, fully funded by the Federal Government across all states of the federation, including the Federal Capital Territory (FCT).

On security, Pantami noted that though it was not a direct mandate of his ministry, it was a priority of government and the sectoral policies to aid security agencies in the discharge of their duties had been developed and implemented.

He cited the National Policy on SIM registration and the revised Policy on NIN/SIM linkage as a huge boost to the nation’s security.

This, he said, was especially so that it would no longer be business as usual for criminal elements who, hitherto, used stolen identities to perpetrate crime unhindered.

The post Nigeria to produce SIM cards, smartphones for Africa ― Pantami appeared first on NEWS.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Buzz and Metro

Ex-Service Chiefs Buratai, Olonisakin get Letters of Credence

Published

on

By

Ex-Service Chiefs Buratai, Olonisakin get Letters of Credence


Former Chief of Army Staff, Lt.Gen. Tukur Yusufu Buratai (Rtd) has been presented with his Letter of Credence.

Buratai is the Ambassador-Designate to the Republic of Benin.

The immediate past Chief of Defence staff, General Abayomi Gabriel Olonisakin (Retired) was also presented with his Letter of Credence.

Olanisakin is the Ambassador-Designate to the Republic of Cameroon.

Minister of Foreign Affairs, Geoffrey Onyeama, according to the ministry presented the Letters of Credence to them on Wednesday morning.

Onyeama, during the brief ceremony, congratulated them on their appointment by President Muhammadu Buhari and called on them to deploy their wealth of experience to promote Nigeria’s interest during their tour of duty in countries of accreditation.

President Muhammadu Buhari had nominated the ex- four Service Chiefs on 4th February 2021.

They were confirmed by the Senate on February 23, 2021 despite public outcry.

Ex- Chief of Air staff, Ibok Ibias and former Chief of Naval Staff, Abubakar Sadique are still awaiting their posting.

The post Ex-Service Chiefs Buratai, Olonisakin get Letters of Credence appeared first on NEWS.

Continue Reading

Buzz and Metro

Tithing is a sinful practice that carries a curse for Christians – Daddy Freeze

Published

on

By

Tithing is a sinful practice that carries a curse for Christians – Daddy Freeze


Popular media personality, Daddy Freeze has again addressed the act of tithing by Christians.

Freeze claimed that tithing is a sinful practice that carries a curse for Christians.

He said this in reaction to Pastor Mike Murdoch’s claim of tithe being a forever seed with a harvest which never ends.

According to him, there is no scriptural record of Non-Jewish Christians paying tithes.

The media personality wrote;

Of course the harvest for teachers like these is forever. Them go dey milk Una dey go. What a joke!

Tithing is a sinful practice that carries a curse for Christians. There is no scriptural record of Non Jewish Christians paying tithes.

The post Tithing is a sinful practice that carries a curse for Christians – Daddy Freeze appeared first on NEWS.

Continue Reading

Buzz and Metro

We’ll suspend any social media platform used to bring down Nigeria – Lai Mohammed

Published

on

By

Release N9.4bn digital switchover spending details, Anti-corruption coalition tells Lai Mohammed


The federal government has disclosed that it will not hesitate to suspend any social media platform which allows activities that have a negative impact on the country.

This was disclosed on Tuesday by the minister of information and culture, Lai Mohammed when he appeared before a house of representatives investigative panel.

He was summoned by the green chamber to explain the circumstances behind the decision of the government to suspend Twitter’s operations in the country.

Speaking before the house committees on communication, justice, information and culture, and national security and intelligence, Mohammed said Twitter became a platform for those who want to “bring down” the country.

He said the government would also suspend any platform that wants to toe the same path as the microblogging site.

“On Twitter not being the only social media in Nigeria but banning Twitter alone, honestly, we suspended Twitter because Twitter became a platform of choice for those that want to bring down this country,” he said.

“If any other platform does it, we will suspend their operations too. It is because there is a country called Nigeria that they have business here.

“Honestly, I think it is a good opportunity for our very resourceful Nigerians to also look at how they can have an app that can replace Twitter, and it would be patronised by all of us. We have received a few approaches and we want to encourage them.”

The minister said for those whose businesses are affected by the Twitter suspension, there are other social media platforms operating in the country.

He said the government is open to discussion with Twitter and its suspension may be reversed after meeting the conditions imposed by the government.

“Like I have said, we owe no responsibility to Twitter. It is not registered in Nigeria. It does not employ Nigerians. It does not pay taxes to Nigeria,” he said.

“If Nigerians do make money through Twitter, unfortunately, Nigeria has to be a country first before they can make that money. Like I said, there are other platforms available to them. Hopefully, if we are able to resolve this matter quickly, they will resume use of Twitter.

“The doors are not closed. We are willing to speak to Twitter. Twitter has written a letter seeking for government dialogue and just today, I did issue a statement which I announced the government’s team that is ready to meet Twitter,” he said.

“When I leave here, I intend to see whether we can have a preliminary meeting of that committee. We hope that the committee will be able to meet first and that the committee would have a good dialogue with Twitter.

“But like we said, there are two basic things that Twitter or any OTT or social media needs to do — they must first be registered as a Nigerian company after which they will apply for licence. Other conditions will come up as we go along.”

The post We’ll suspend any social media platform used to bring down Nigeria – Lai Mohammed appeared first on NEWS.

Continue Reading

Trending