Connect with us

Buzz and Metro

BREAKING: Twitter reacts to suspension of operation by Nigerian Govt

Published

on

BREAKING: Twitter reacts to suspension of operation by Nigerian Govt


Twitter has expressed “deep concern” over the federal government’s decision to suspend its operations in Nigeria.

Sarah Hart, Twitter’s Senior Policy Communications Manager for Europe, Middle East and Africa, who made this known in a statement, said the company is investigating the development.

“The announcement made by the Nigerian Government that they have suspended Twitter’s operations in Nigeria is deeply concerning.

“We’re investigating and will provide updates when we know more,” the statement said.

Recall that the federal government suspended Twitter’s operations in a statement on Friday.

Lai Mohammed, Minister of Information, said the government was forced to act because of “the persistent use of the platform for activities that are capable of undermining Nigeria’s corporate existence”.

Naijatell had earlier reported that the Socio-Economic Rights and Accountability Project (SERAP) has condemned the suspension of Twitter’s Operations in Nigeria and called on the government of President Muhammadu Buhari to immediately rescind the suspension within 48 hours or face legal action.

The post BREAKING: Twitter reacts to suspension of operation by Nigerian Govt appeared first on NEWS.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Buzz and Metro

Ex-Service Chiefs Buratai, Olonisakin get Letters of Credence

Published

on

By

Ex-Service Chiefs Buratai, Olonisakin get Letters of Credence


Former Chief of Army Staff, Lt.Gen. Tukur Yusufu Buratai (Rtd) has been presented with his Letter of Credence.

Buratai is the Ambassador-Designate to the Republic of Benin.

The immediate past Chief of Defence staff, General Abayomi Gabriel Olonisakin (Retired) was also presented with his Letter of Credence.

Olanisakin is the Ambassador-Designate to the Republic of Cameroon.

Minister of Foreign Affairs, Geoffrey Onyeama, according to the ministry presented the Letters of Credence to them on Wednesday morning.

Onyeama, during the brief ceremony, congratulated them on their appointment by President Muhammadu Buhari and called on them to deploy their wealth of experience to promote Nigeria’s interest during their tour of duty in countries of accreditation.

President Muhammadu Buhari had nominated the ex- four Service Chiefs on 4th February 2021.

They were confirmed by the Senate on February 23, 2021 despite public outcry.

Ex- Chief of Air staff, Ibok Ibias and former Chief of Naval Staff, Abubakar Sadique are still awaiting their posting.

The post Ex-Service Chiefs Buratai, Olonisakin get Letters of Credence appeared first on NEWS.

Continue Reading

Buzz and Metro

Tithing is a sinful practice that carries a curse for Christians – Daddy Freeze

Published

on

By

Tithing is a sinful practice that carries a curse for Christians – Daddy Freeze


Popular media personality, Daddy Freeze has again addressed the act of tithing by Christians.

Freeze claimed that tithing is a sinful practice that carries a curse for Christians.

He said this in reaction to Pastor Mike Murdoch’s claim of tithe being a forever seed with a harvest which never ends.

According to him, there is no scriptural record of Non-Jewish Christians paying tithes.

The media personality wrote;

Of course the harvest for teachers like these is forever. Them go dey milk Una dey go. What a joke!

Tithing is a sinful practice that carries a curse for Christians. There is no scriptural record of Non Jewish Christians paying tithes.

The post Tithing is a sinful practice that carries a curse for Christians – Daddy Freeze appeared first on NEWS.

Continue Reading

Buzz and Metro

We’ll suspend any social media platform used to bring down Nigeria – Lai Mohammed

Published

on

By

Release N9.4bn digital switchover spending details, Anti-corruption coalition tells Lai Mohammed


The federal government has disclosed that it will not hesitate to suspend any social media platform which allows activities that have a negative impact on the country.

This was disclosed on Tuesday by the minister of information and culture, Lai Mohammed when he appeared before a house of representatives investigative panel.

He was summoned by the green chamber to explain the circumstances behind the decision of the government to suspend Twitter’s operations in the country.

Speaking before the house committees on communication, justice, information and culture, and national security and intelligence, Mohammed said Twitter became a platform for those who want to “bring down” the country.

He said the government would also suspend any platform that wants to toe the same path as the microblogging site.

“On Twitter not being the only social media in Nigeria but banning Twitter alone, honestly, we suspended Twitter because Twitter became a platform of choice for those that want to bring down this country,” he said.

“If any other platform does it, we will suspend their operations too. It is because there is a country called Nigeria that they have business here.

“Honestly, I think it is a good opportunity for our very resourceful Nigerians to also look at how they can have an app that can replace Twitter, and it would be patronised by all of us. We have received a few approaches and we want to encourage them.”

The minister said for those whose businesses are affected by the Twitter suspension, there are other social media platforms operating in the country.

He said the government is open to discussion with Twitter and its suspension may be reversed after meeting the conditions imposed by the government.

“Like I have said, we owe no responsibility to Twitter. It is not registered in Nigeria. It does not employ Nigerians. It does not pay taxes to Nigeria,” he said.

“If Nigerians do make money through Twitter, unfortunately, Nigeria has to be a country first before they can make that money. Like I said, there are other platforms available to them. Hopefully, if we are able to resolve this matter quickly, they will resume use of Twitter.

“The doors are not closed. We are willing to speak to Twitter. Twitter has written a letter seeking for government dialogue and just today, I did issue a statement which I announced the government’s team that is ready to meet Twitter,” he said.

“When I leave here, I intend to see whether we can have a preliminary meeting of that committee. We hope that the committee will be able to meet first and that the committee would have a good dialogue with Twitter.

“But like we said, there are two basic things that Twitter or any OTT or social media needs to do — they must first be registered as a Nigerian company after which they will apply for licence. Other conditions will come up as we go along.”

The post We’ll suspend any social media platform used to bring down Nigeria – Lai Mohammed appeared first on NEWS.

Continue Reading

Trending