COZA Rape Saga: Busola Clears The Air On N10m Damages Suit |
Wife of singer Timi Dakolo, Busola, has denied seeking N10 million compensation from Pastor Biodun Fatoyinbo, whom she accused of raping her, Newz NG reports.
Reports had it on Monday that Dakolo was seeking N10 million damages and out-of-court settlement, over the allegations against the clergyman.
Newz NG observed on the social media space that Busola received backlash from Nigerians, after a court paper carrying the said N10 million demands, surfaced on the internet.
But Busola, on Tuesday, said her intention was misrepresented by Nigerians, insisting that “the facts” in her suit against the Abuja-based pastor, were twisted.
In a statement signed by Busola’s counsel, Pelumi Olajengbesi, on her behalf, she said “the N10m quoted by the media is the cost of the action carried out by her lawyers, to wit, litigation fee.”
The statement which was obtained by Newz NG, on Tuesday, in Abuja, reads;
“Following the misinformation being circulated in print and social media on the pending suit filed by our client, it has become imperative to address and clarify the true state of affairs.
“The Nigeria Police Force is still investigating the allegation of rape made by our client against the person of Biodun Fatoyinbo. In furtherance of the police investigation, the suspect (Biodun Fatoyinbo) was confronted by the complainant (our client) on September 5, 2019 at the Force Criminal Investigation Department, Area 10, Abuja during an investigation conference presided over by the Deputy Inspector General of Police, Mike Ogbizi. The police therefore have not taken anyone to court.
“However, our client, in furtherance of her civil rights, and in line with constitutional provisions, filed a civil suit against Biodun Fatoyinbo on September 6, 2019. The civil suit is independent of the criminal allegations and/or investigation of the police.
“The suit has been the subject of several news headlines, albeit with a lot of misleading information. This missive is aimed at clarifying this misinformation and setting the records straight.
“Firstly, our client filed the civil suit against Biodun Fatoyinbo on September 6, 2019 at the High Court of the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja and not the Federal High Court, as widely reported. As of the time of filing the suit, the same had yet to be assigned to a judge for hearing.
“Secondly, the court did not issue any summons on our client and the 14 days given to the defendant (Biodun Fatoyinbo) within which to enter appearance to the writ of summons commences from the date of personal service of the said suit on the person of Biodun Fatoyinbo and this certainly will be after the matter has been assigned to a judge.
“Thirdly, our client has not sought any monetary damages and/or compensation against Biodun Fatoyinbo in her reliefs. This is because our client’s reason for filing the civil suit against Biodun Fatoyinbo is, inter-alia, for the court to make pronouncements on her rights as well as Biodun’s liabilities and also to help other victims of sexual, physical and emotional abuse gain the courage to confront their abusers no matter how highly placed they may be.”
Meanwhile, Newz NG had previously reported that pastor Fatoyinbo, in his response to Busola’s suit, advised her to stop spreading false statements against him.
“We have heard the latest report. We have not received any court document and if we do, we would respond accordingly because we have utmost respect for the law.
“I normally would not respond to news. But will do so only this time. Allow me to respond in Pidgin English: ‘Stop lying up an dan”, said the COZA pastor.